June 07, 2005

Light and Sweet


CAFFEINE! Posted by Hello
I love coffee. French Roast, Columbian, Brazilian, Turkish, Gas Station and Espresso (no flavored coffees for me thank you), I love them all. So it only makes sense that when I needed a second job I went where the coffee lived. My friend, we'll call her Dorothy, works at my favorite local sugar shack and she set me up with a three night a week gig. And for the most part I enjoy it. I hate working 8 hours at one job and then 6.5 at another... But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
The job's not bad. The boss is super laid back. The other employees are nifty. A lot of the customers are fun. The problem is.................. A lot of the customers are also poo-headed jerk faces. Allow me to illustrate.
Good Barista/Customer Exchange
Me: "Hi ______. The usual today?"
Customer: "Yes please."
Me: "How's your bike, kid, dog, job, class etc?"
Customer: "Good, terrible, fun, adorable etc?"
Me: "That's great. See you tomorrow."
Change or a dollar goes in the tip jar.
Bad Barista/Customer Exchange
Me: "Hi..."
Customer: "Give me a skinny latte."
Me: "Alright."
Customer: "I'm in a hurry."
Me: "It takes a minute to make the espresso sir."
Customer:""
Me: "Okay sir. Have a nice night."
Customer: "I wanted that iced."
Me: "Okay sir, in the future just let me know before I make it."
Customer: "I did."
Me: "No... Okay sir. Sorry about that."
Customer: "Sheesh."
Tip jar remains sadly empty and bare.
Alternate Scenario - a customer asks you to make four milkshakes and not a penny goes into the jar. Look, if I make you a coffee it's one thing, but milkshakes are a pain.
The part that bothers me the worst is the lack of greeting. I say "hi" and receive in return a demand. Look, I know it takes 1.3 seconds to say "hi", "hello", "yo" or even nod, but is that so much to ask? This is a society, let's act like it. A greeting is just polite. We don't have to chat, but acknowledgement of the fact that I'm human is nice.
And the strange thing is it's the older adults who act this way. We're forever hearing about "kids these days" and the lack of manners and blah blah blah. But the majority of the younger folks who come in say hi and thanks. If the manners of young people are so bad maybe it's because they don't have any good examples.
Look, I'm going to let you in on a secret. If you're nice to the server, they're nice to you. We like our regulars (for the most part), we like friendly customers. And if the barista is happy, you're happier. For instance, last night a regular came in. He's a highschooler, a really nice guy, a big music fan. He's always polite, always chats, is always helpful. He gets a water last night. I ask him "why no coffee tonight"? He tells me he's broke "as a joke" until he gets his allowance. I spot him the cup of coffee, he puts his fifty cents in the jar and we're all happy. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
I guess the moral of the story is: Do you really want to piss off the person who provides your caffeine?
So act like a human, remember we're human and we can all caffinate happily.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've been in enough service jobs to know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for making me smile this early in the morning!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Why thank you Steve and Dave... Solidarity my service brothers!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home